Today I’m interviewing fellow Soul Mate author Kim Hotzon about her new short story, The Snow Bird!
Thank you Rachel for having me here today. I’m so happy to be featured on your blog.
Q. How long have you been writing?
A. For as long as I can remember, although proactively for the past six years.
Q. Tell us about your road to publication.
A. I first self-published a memoir about my life as a young English teacher in Japan. On the heels of that, I traveled overseas to Rwanda where my volunteering had a profound impact on my life. I was inspired to write my first novel, Hands Full of Ashes which was published with Soul Mate Publishing in January 2015.
Q. What advice would you give an aspiring writer?
A. There’s so much to consider. To keep it brief, I’ll outline some tips here:
- be aware that writing involves much of your time (it’ll be difficult, though not impossible to manage it alongside raising young children or working full-time).
- brush up on your grammar and read a lot of novels in the genre you’re going to write in
- establish an online presence immediately—making sure you have a professional looking website
- join writer’s groups; the wealth of information and support will prove invaluable
- research and write a polished query letter and begin querying
- be professional
- think about your brand and your message and keep it consistent across your social media sites
- find people to read your manuscript before you send it off to an editor or publisher (if there are major plot holes or characters are unlikeable, etc. they’ll let you know).
- send shorter pieces out for contests (just research to ensure they’re legitimate)
- be persistent (writing, as a career, is tough but worth it if you’re passionate)
- Q. Tell us about your latest release:
A. My short story, The Snow Bird, is part of the anthology Sizzle In The Snow: A Soul Mate Christmas Collection. This Christmas themed anthology offers eight steamy romance stories, all with happy endings. Sizzle In The Snow became a bestseller in Canada during the holidays.
THE SNOW BIRD, by Kim Hotzon
Lauren, a young single mother, is struggling to keep her children fed and a roof over their heads as the holidays approach.
Christmas is looking bleak until a sexy and wealthy property developer unexpectedly shows up in town, offering to repair her roof . . . and a whole lot more.
Connect with Kim Hotzon:
Goodreads: Goodreads author Kim Hotzon